Steve McCabe MP is seeking a fulltime Constituency Assistant to join his busy constituency office based in Birmingham. Further details about the job and how to apply are below.
Main purpose of Job: Constituency Assistant
Reporting to MP and Constituency Office Manager
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales, starting £21,529
Hours: Full time, Permanent
Closing Date: Friday 9 April
Interviews: Friday 23 April (on zoom)
Main responsibilities for the Constituency Assistant include:
- Assist with constituency casework, provide advice and support to constituents and stakeholders.
- Liaise with external agencies to resolve matters on behalf of constituents and others
- Deal with a large amount of correspondence, telephone enquiries and emails and provide timely responses
- Produce press releases on local and national stories and produce content publicising the members parliamentary and constituency work across social media platforms, including producing videos
- Stakeholder engagement
- Arrange meetings, visits and events for the MP
- Assisting the MP at advice surgeries, digital meetings, events and visits
- Undertake research for parliamentary debates and questions, draft parliamentary questions
- Undertake data entry, administration and database management of correspondence
- Please note there will be some weekend and evening work, including attending advice surgeries which are held in the evenings and weekends
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Good IT skills, including Microsoft Office and social media platforms
- Ability to work proactively, independently and as part of a team
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritise tasks and manage own workload
- Good knowledge of Steve’s work and the constituency
- Awareness of current political issues at local and national level.
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party
- Experience of using caseworker.mp, office 365
- Driving licence and use of a car
- Experience in campaigning is desirable
Please note there will be some weekend and evening work
How to apply:
Applicants should send their CV with a detailed covering letter no longer than one A4 page, setting out how they meet the requirements of the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be held virtually on zoom. Candidates must be available for interview on 23 April. Candidates invited to interview will be asked to complete a pre-interview task.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info.